Total Pageviews

Thursday, 9 December 2010

Day 4 - Monday 8th November “Saw some badass Sharks, Stingrays, Turtles and general fish.

Everyone in the hostel goes to work in the week, so it seems I was on my own for the day. I decided to be a typical tourist and go sightseeing. Plus I need to work out my way around the city anyway.

Finally got round to writing the postcards and sent them to the girls. Found the nearest supermarket, which funnily was called Woolworths (not the one we’re used to, its more like an Asda over here), and made some sandwiches. Headed back to the hostel and spoke to the owner about the music scene out here. I wanted to find out the best places to go and what nights were around. He pointed me in the direction of a few good magazines and record shops to check out nearby that might be able to help me out.

Danny (Hostel Owner) drew me out a map of how to get to the places so I set out and followed my way to them. The first shop was called Hum, it was basically HMV, fairly generic shop but I asked them about the magazines that Danny had mentioned anyway. They had them and she gave me a copy of all of them. She also recommended going to the Record Store just around the corner which would probably deal more with what I was looking for.

Took a walk around to the store but the bloke was just going out, he told me to come back on Wednesday and the owner (who was a DJ) would be around then. Also if I was to come at about 5:30 that would be when ‘the boys’ came in and they have a mix. Sounds like excellent news. I asked him if there was anywhere else around that would be good to go to, he said that just around the corner there was another place as well. This was a plush looking place that also sold equipment as well as records. They didn’t really stock much Dubstep & Drum and Bass though. He told me that were looking for somebody to fill a part time job vacancy but I would have to be quick with my CV if I was interested. I said I’d get mine to him ASAP.

Darling Harbour
From there most of the errands were done so thought I’d walk to the city. Headed off to Darling Harbour. It was a pretty long walk but was good for getting to know my way about still.
Darling Harbour is a cool place, full of places to eat and drink, and generally seems like the centre of entertainment. Even has the world’s biggest IMAX cinema.  I recognised across the harbour the hotel that my Mum & Dad had stayed in just the previous year which I remember seeing a photo of.

Darling Harbour
I was pretty annoyed that I no longer had a camera and also the battery on my iPhone was dieing so couldn’t really take any photo’s whilst I was there.
Took a look at James Cooks’ ship in the Harbour and also an old school submarine sitting next to it, didn’t bother paying to go on though.
The sky came over all overcast and I’d reached the end of the other side of the Harbour by the Wharf’s. I’d kind of run out of places to go nearby so I decided to go check out the Aquarium. It was only $23 for a student. I’d been doing lots of currency conversion’s on my phone so I could work what was and wasn’t a good deal. The aquarium was only £14 so that was a good deal for a one off.

Shark
Saw some badass Sharks, Stingrays, Turtles and general fish.

When I left I took a turning out of the wharf point and ended up in the CBD somehow. Because I was knackered I thought I’d get a train back home. That’s where I was wrong.
It was rush hour, there were business heads rushing all over the place, and the map didn’t make any sense to me at all. I decided to come to terms with the fact that I was lost again but try finding my own way out of it. I took a few nose-following turns and found my way back to familiar territories.

Stopped off at the Apple Store for a bit on the way home then walked back during the most insane Thunderstorm I had seen in my life. Relentless, constant flashing but for some reason there was no sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment